Tuesday, February 02, 2010

PC Hard drives part II

This is an information update on behalf of Garry Cook for all photographers in reference to this blog about buying internal hard drives for your PC.

I have just bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5. It cost £210 from dabs for £229.87.

My PC was failing to boot up because my existing 1TB (that's 1,000 gigabytes if you're confused) was almost full - 930gbs of images.

Apparently anything over 800gbs used on a 1TB drive means problems. As this drive was not my boot (C:) drive I did not think this would affect the running of the computer. I was wrong. So take note in future, folks.

The Caviar Black has a 64mb buffer which kind of means it's a bit more hardcore and heavy duty when it comes to processing large RAW and TIFF files.

This drive was purchased in January 2010. On February 1, 2010, the price had dropped by five pounds. I expect this figure to decrease steadily. Keep your eyes peeled.

I thank you.

No comments: