Monday, January 22, 2007

The first two days

Twenty-ish people on the course, plus another group simultaneously studying in Dalian, China.

If there's one thing I've learned pretty fast about this course it's that there are some long words ahead.

I read Dave Clarke's essay on global photography markets. It was very long.

There has obviously been a lot of work put into it. He's travelled to Bangladesh, Ethiopia and written a comprehensive document.

The only problem, he's carried on using the same jargon as some of the reports he's used as references. So, what you get is constant references to the 'majority world', then a stream of long words wrapped in longer sentences. Not exactly bed-time reading, I can tell you.

If the Plain English Campaign got hold of Mr Clarke, he’d never get out alive.

Reading this essay and others we have handed, I find myself constantly referring to the internet to discover the meaning of words and phrases. I'm still not sure what 'majority world' actually means. I'm sure I'll work it out as I go along.

No comments: