Sunday, June 10, 2012

App test: EveryTrail for mapping journies

In preparation for a photo journey around east Lancashire I am looking at mobile tracking apps for Android phones.

The aim is to produce a map which automatically marks tweets and photo uploads along the route, plus Audioboos, Instagram and so on. I am yet to find an all-in-one solution for this.

I discovered the free version of the EveryTrail app and gave it a go. It is very user friendly, unlike Trip Journal Lite which I am also trialing.

To get going, all you need to do is switch on your mobile phone's GPS tracking (though my phone warns me that data transfers charges may apply). Then, off you go on your journey and the app automatically tracks you.

And this is what it recorded:

Whalley To Fulwood


EveryTrail - Find hiking trails in California and beyond

GOOD: Love the ease of use and the graph it generates of your distance, speed and elevation.

BAD: Questionable accuracy. I did exactly the same journey twice and the distance differed by almost one mile (16.24miles and 17.14miles)

No comments: