Thursday, November 05, 2009

Business with Business Link

A dozen or so years ago I went to see a Business Link advisor in the hope of expanding the boundaries of my work.

It was a right waste of time. I listened to a few wishy-washy statements, was handed a few leaflets and never heard from them again.

The persistence of Gemma from Creative Lancashire led to me agreeing to meet up with a Yusuf Musa, Business Link’s Digital & Creative advisor.





The only downside was that it was arranged at the coffee shop of Borders book shop in Deepdale Retail Park. It was half-term week.

Anyway, this Business Link fella was brilliant. His knowledge of the photography industry and digital media was spot on.

He made several suggestions on how I could better market myself as a photographer, some I had heard of, others that I was totally unaware of. He was an excellent communicator and talked neither in business jargon or digital riddles. This was appreciated immensely.

He offered hope, guidance and support. How this support will develop I don’t know. But I quite like the new face of Business Link.

Sadly for you lot my camera was left at home so you’ll have to wait for my next appointment to for a photograph of Mr Business Link.

A profile of Yusuf on Lancashire & Cumbria ICT Clusters says he previously worked in publishing and had his own IT business.

And I can exclusively confirm that this is not the same Yusuf Musa you will find in a google search who sends out thousands of spam messages which begin like this:

DEAR FRIEND,
I KNOW THAT THIS MESSAGE WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE. I AM THE BILL AND EXCHANGE MANAGER IN BANK OF AFRICA (BOA), OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA FASO…

At least I hope he is not this Yusuf Musa. He already has my email address.

No comments: