Monday, March 19, 2007

Down The Essay Way

It's been a difficult few weeks on this MA course, mostly because of the dreaded essay.

Now, I'm not one to moan and I know every student has their own reason why the essay is so difficult to write, but it was a bit of nightmare.

That's not to say I've finished it - I've only done the draft and it needs some work done yet.

No, my biggest problem was the words, or wordage as it's known in essay writing circles (why use a simple word when an longer, more complex and abstract word will do perfectly well instead?).

This essay - I chose the title 'Reuters' picture editors, photographers or PR's - who is responsible for the photographic manipulation of Adnan Hajj?' - is 2,000. Not a lot. Except that if you're an incredibly highly-skilled journalist used to cutting down copy and getting the point across with as few words as possible.

Quite frankly, I could have got my point across in 200 short words, not these long drawn-out sentences which I regard as total bollocks. You would get the gist of it anyway.

NOTE: My completed essay will not be published on this blog. Copies will be available on request for GBP9.99.

No comments: